Friday, January 14, 2011

Soups On!

It is a chilly wintry day here in the Ancient City, and what better way to soothe the soul on a night like tonight, than to serve up some home made hot and hearty turkey vegetable soup!  I put a large turkey thigh (skinned) along with 6 cups of water into my soup pot, then came the chopped onions, carrots, red potatoes, yellow squash, Italian Pole Beans, and turnips cut into bite-size chunks.  For seasoning, I added 2 tsps of Bell's Poultry Seasoning, parsley flakes, 2 large fresh sage leaves, 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves of garlic (smashed), salt and pepper to taste at the end of the cooking time if needed.  I let it simmer on low for 3 hours.  The aroma was heavenly and filled the cottage with lots of warm memories from my Mom's home made soups when we were growing up.  Now I am all set -  A slice of crusty artisan bread and a glass of Reisling and I am going to call it a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment